Vintage gelatin silver print
Verso: ‘Evie ag & res Lumeh pae Tama Plaims.’
17.8 x 24.0 cm
The bungalow where Blixen lived with her husband was dubbed Mbogani, a Kiswahili word meaning “house in the forest.” Situated at the foot of the Ngong Hills, 10km from the city center. The farm house was built in 1912 and bought by Danish author Karen Blixen and her husband in 1917. Of the 4500 acres property, only 600 acres was developed for coffee farming, while the rest remained a natural forest.
Blixen lived in the house until she returned to Denmark in 1931. In 1964, the house was bought by the Danish government who then handed it over to the Kenyan government as an Independence gift. The house was acquired by the National Museums of Kenya to establish a museum which was commissioned in 1986.
Mbogani typifies the architecture of residences built throughout European suburbs of Nairobi in the late 19th century and as such holds further historical significance.Enquire